Thursday, May 13, 2004

Today is Thursday (for those of us who are a little behind)

Mornin',
Rain has a certain effects on certain people. I for one am a fair-weather (ironic, I know) fan of rain. I know that we need it to have a nice looking lawn and garden, for farmers to have a good crop, and for lazy people to get a free car wash from time to time. On mornings that I'm really wanting an excuse to roll over in bed for another half hour instead of getting out on my bike, it makes for an understandible excuse. Then there are those times when splashing in puddles and swimming in ditches (it's a Lincoln thing) just makes life more fun. Rain saves the day! However, there are thoses times when I'm really motivated to mow the lawn, ride a hundred miles, weed the garden, wash my car, and do something fun outside with everyone I know (individually!) and it opens up and pours, depressingly, for hours on end, dashing any thought of doing anything constructive outside. Currently, it's between spurts of rain. I think that today my attitude toward rain is one of indifference or at least hoping it will cooperate with my plans (of course!). "Water my lawn but let me get to the track meet tonight." Seems simple enough to me.

Proverbs 13:1 (NIV) says "A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke." Since Proverbs is a book of instruction and bits of wisdom to live by, it only seems right that it would compare the actions of the wise to those of the unwise. Several times in the book, it speaks of children in relation to their parents. Since everyone is a child, it's good for us to heed these warnings and take to heart these instructions. Speaking of that, parents have a tough role of raising and training kids. Whether or not we (kids) agree with their methods, assuming they are trying to do the right thing (and at this point, those of you reading this have parents who are) it is wise for us to do what they say. They (parents, who used to be kids, but still are kids in their parents' eyes) have been in your shoes, they have done the school thing and have had the pressure put on them from society that you feel is unique only to you (kids, umm, all of us). The mocker this verse, and several others, refers to is not a person to try and emulate! Ladies, you don't want to bring one of these guys home to meet ma & pa! A mocker is rebelious, lazy, apathetic, and usually (somehow) thinks he/she is right! Let me encourage you (along with God's word) to listen to our parents. Remember, there's a good chance that you'll be parents someday! (How do you like that for scare tactics!)

Youth Sunday is coming up and Brailyn is the only one signed up (you go, girl!). Fill the list and take part!

Also, People of Prayer is on the 29th of May. Plan to be there.

Enjoy your day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home