Friday, December 10, 2004

"Tisivor"

If you've seen Cinderella, then you know what "tisivor" refers to. Remember when Jacques finds Gus in the trap? When he went to tell Cinerella, he yelled, "Tisivor, tisivor", which was a spooner for "visitor". Ok, you're all caught up now. So, I had a visitor last night. I got home from the Northview Christmas program a little before 9 and ran back into town right after that. After running that errand, I got home at about 9:45 to be greeted by a car...in my driveway. And it was empty! This was a little startling, because the car had been driven trough the yard from the church's gravel lot and left at a weird angle in front of the house. I drove around looking the place over and called 911. I didn't really have anything else to do! I gave the plate number and a description of the car and the scene and a deputy came out about 10 minutes later. He looked over the scene, I checked out the house, he told me my options, and he took off. Basically, I was left with either leaving it there or having it towed. Once again, I didn't know what to do. I called around for some advice, and about the time I was headed into town again, there were more headlights in the drive. The guys who owned the car had come back with a tank of gas because it was out. I'm thinking to myself, "Maybe you should have looked at your guage to see how full it was before pulling into some dude's yard!" Oh well. They apologized for the inconvenience and drove off. I was left in a state of unbelief! I went to bed thanking God but also asking what the guy was thinking in the first place. Anyways, that chapter in life is over. The mice are still in the office however. That's what really matters.

Proverbs 10:5 says (NASB), "He who gathers in the summer is a son who acts wisely, But he who sleeps in harvest is a son who acts shamefully". Laziness is something that plagues many people in America. I think we've had it so good for so long that many of us have become soft in our work ethic and our resolve to see results, both in our work and in our lives. Now there are a lot of people who are somewhat divided in their laziness. They will work like gangbusters to please a boss or make a buck, but at home or in their personal lives, they are lazy. They don't keep themselves in good shape, they settle for second or third best spirituality, and they invest in quality relationships. This son who acts wisely goes beyond what is required of him at the time. There is really no immediate need to gather crops, wood, fuel, food (whatever) in the summer because these things are readily available. But in the winter, when these things are in short supply or the price has gone up, he'll be ready. On the flip side, the lazy son sleeps in the harvest time! The last chance he has to store up for winter is passing him by while he is soundly tucked (or untucked) into bed. That's absurd! That kind of thing brings shame on the son as well as the family he represents. We all need to take a lesson from these fellows. In working (and working ahead whenever we have time), in seeking God, in making bad relationships good and good relationships great, we need to make the most of every opportunity we have . We can't afford to miss a chance. If we are lazy, chances will pass us by left and right, but we won't be awake to even see them.

Sunday 12/12: Christmas carroling (come ready to sing!)
Saturday 12/18: Toys for Tots distribution @ Harmony United Methodist Church
Sunday 12/19: Holiday Dinner (come hungry!)
Wednesday 12/21: A Big Deal Christmas (White Elephant gift exchange & party)

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home