Monday, November 08, 2004

Joe: Mouse Hunter

I think I have taken care of my mouse problem for at least a little while. For the last week to week and a half, I have been on a mission to rid my house of vermin. I realized that I'm unable to keep a cat, so I basically have to be ready to defend my house on my own whenever I see evidence of an intruder. I have tried to be better this year about making my house as unhospitable to critters as possible. Methods such as cleaning, not leaving dirty dishes in the sink, and keeping the house at a relatively low temperature all seemed like logical ways to keep clear of mice. However, a couple weeks ago, all my hopes of having a rodent-free Autumn were dashed when, while doing my homework downstairs, I heard the skittering of tiny feet in the ceiling above me. I don't have a dropped ceiling, but somehow, somewhere, they got in and I could hear them. Needless to say, I was ticked. I didn't see much of them for another week or so, but when they showed up, they "made their presence known" (if you need this spelled out, you've never had mice...and I hate you.) Once I knew they were here, I scrambled to do what I could to make sure it was a short stay. However, the mice that were in my house must have been genetically enhanced and escaped from a science lab, because they were outsmarting me at every turn. They seemed to be mocking me by, first of all, eating what I put in the traps, and secondly, taking and hiding my traps! This didn't sit well so I pulled out the big guns...my wallet. I went to the store and bought some poison and set some of that where the box instructed my to. Also, I altered my traps a bit to make them more sensitive to touch so I wouldn't just be feeding the stinkin' things! Well, within 24 hours, I had evidence that the poison had at least been eaten and caught 2 in the new and improved traps. I am proud to say that I have been critter free for 3 days. We'll just have to see how long that keeps up.

Proverbs 8:4 says, "To you, O men, I call out; I raise my voice to all mankind." It's amazing to me how silly people can be sometimes. I amaze even myself sometimes when I'll do some absolutely ridiculous things. Case in point: looking frantically for my keys while holding them in my hand, turning the wrong way down a one-way street, running upstairs or over to the office to do something important and leaving behind what it was that I was doing it for. All these things are silly, and it seems like we all do them. However, what is sad is the abundance of foolishness in the world. People will subject themselves to all sorts of tragedies and potentially bad ends all in the name of getting ahead or making a quick buck. Foolishness is the cause of a lot of people's financial troubles, marital problems, and social blunders. Scripture, especially here in Proverbs, makes it very clear that foolishness is not the only option. You don't have to keep doing stupid things in life if you don't choose to! Wisdom makes her call to everyone. "O men" is speaking to all of mankind, because regardless of gender, we all need wisdom. It is a universal call and it is universally available. Unfortunately, many people will never accept the call. They will go barrelling through life and hurt themselves and people around them on their way. Understand, also, that this call is for youth ministers too (and, boy, do I know I need it!). But, for my sake, because only people I know well and are around a lot read this, accepte the call. Please? At least, when you know you're going to make a bad decision, call me and tell me, and I'll stay indoors that day.

Friday: Bowl-o-rama @ Brazilian Lanes (7 - 9-ish). Meet me there, not at church.

Later...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

listen up joe, i can't live my day without reading ur blog, every morning i check it, but everyday for the past week it has been the same thing. I am mad at u.
No, not really mad, just dissapointed, but please write in ur blog.

with christian and brotherly love,
michael

3:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home