Friday, October 22, 2004

Humbled

I was talking to Laura on the phone last night and realized something very humbling. She knows I’m not perfect. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, she knows that I have faults. And it’s not just that I make bad driving decisions from time to time or that I like sauerkraut, but she knows some things about me that only those closest to me know. No, I’m not a serial killer, but she’s seen glimpses of me at my worst. Although, I don’t really like the fact that she knows these things, it’s better for her to find them out now than, say, 6 months into marriage, or worse, after having kids. What’s great about Laura is that she’s willing to help me overcome these things. She’s an inspiration to me to be the man I want to be but am just too lazy to strive to become. I’m glad she’s around. The Lord truly knew what he was doing in getting us together by that strange chain of events (We’ve got a cool story, and it’s getting better every day). So what do we learn by all this? First of all, I have learned that I can’t hide! I have to face up to my shortcomings if I’m going to be able to succeed in life, ministry, and with Laura. I think, secondly, and for all you out there looking for that special someone, good things happen in God’s time. Neither you nor I can rush God in keeping his plans. Laura and I haven’t known each other all that long, but we didn’t learn all that we have about one another in the first week, either. I had to wait almost 24 years to meet a girl this good (and I wasn’t all that good at waiting, either). She’s a little more patient than me, but even when we started dating “officially”, she still didn’t jump in with both feet. She took her time and let God work things out. I don’t want to make this into a sermon, nor do I want to set myself or Laura, for that matter, up as examples of how to do things right or how to date God’s way. But I think, especially on her part, that this is a good example of how important it is for us not to get too ahead of God in our plans and to let him determine our steps, because, after all, it’s his plan being worked out.

Proverbs 22:4 says, “Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life.” My ramblings above go well to supplement this point here about humility. There are a great many examples and verses in the Bible about the importance of humility before God and in life. Compared to God, we have no choice but to be humble. I know my faults and weaknesses and I’m sure if you’re very honest with yourselves you’ll see your own as well. Proverbs says a handful of times that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom. This fear, as I think we’ve discussed here before, is reverence and respect for God out of a heart that understands its own weakness and God’s greatness. Wealth, honor, and life are what we gain by our humility and service to God. I don’t think Scripture indicates that these things will be in excess, but that we will be provided with all that we need (Matthew 6:8, Philippians 4:19). God will give us an abundant life (John 10:10) if we live in this way. These good, old words are true throughout Scripture, as James 4:10 says, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up”.

Oct. 30-Rake-n-Run (3:00), People of Prayer (6:00)
Oct. 31-Youth Sunday
Nov. 5-Bowling Night @ Brazilian Lanes

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home