Monday, October 18, 2004

Feeling the heat

It’s amazing, but true! It seems that this little message that I put on here from time to time actually appeals to some people! People read my stuff! A couple of things clued me into this. One, some of my youth (Kellsy and Michael) have posted trying to get a hold of me or pass on info through the blog, meaning, they’ve been here recently. Two, I got a somewhat embarrassing (for me, anyways) post from a rabid fan of mine, or at least the blog, asking if it was broken since I’ve not posted in almost a month (If I were more up to date on my IM-ing, I’d type in the little “embarrassed, red-faced, icon guy right here. But since I’m not, I can’t. ;-( But I can do that! And this…;-)) Anyways, the youth group has been cruising right along this semester so far. I’m so glad I have the group that I do because they’re great for lock-ins. Let me give an example: Our yearly…er…second annual Hootenany/Lock-in was last weekend. At this event, we played games, ate food, and got together for a bit of solid teaching (thanks Ken and Laura [you’re so cute!] [Laura, not Ken]). After this, the majority of the group settled in for the remainder of the morning to watch movies in the auditorium. The few that were left spent their time being creative (and making themselves very tired!) turning a refrigerator box into a customized car (I’ll have pics up Wednesday). And that’s it! They pretty much are a low-maintenance group and I’m grateful for every one. (And I’m fine by the way!)

Proverbs 18:4 (NIV) says, “The words of a man’s mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.” (No one said anything about missing the Proverbs commentary, but you’re getting it anyway! It’s good for you and it’s good for me.) In studying this a bit, there’s two ways a person can look at this verse, and I think both are valuable for life. I’ll name them the Positive and the Negative. First, the Positive sees the man as wise and his words as deep and thoughtful, thus welling up life giving words from deep within his heart. The Negative sees the man as a man of the world. His words are “deep” because only he knows the motives for them. The “but” connecting the two parts then presents wise words as a bubbling brook that is clear and, again, life giving. So, regardless of translation, we still get the same out come: know the source. If the depth of wisdom and thoughtfulness is there to be drawn from, great. But be careful in getting advice from shady people because their words are less likely to be that life giving stream.

Take the Challenge: The One Minute Missions Challenge is still going on. Select a missionary and pray for them for one minute a day (that’s all?!?!?) for the rest of the month!
People of Prayer: It seems like forever that we’ve done this so let’s get back into it on Oct 30 at 6:00 pm. Right before this, we’ll do a Rake-n-Run for those older folks in our church. We’ll work till it’s dark, or we get hungry, or close to 6, or all three, then head back to church. We’re done at 7.
Youth Sunday: October 31. Sign up and take part.

Later…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
I didn't want to spend 5 minutes making a blog, so I'm anonymous. Guess who?
Sorry we missed the Hootanany/Lock-In, but Florida was calling.
Keep up the blogging.

6:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you posted again. Sorry that I embarrassed you
with my comment. I certainly didn't mean to do that. I just enjoy reading them. Keep up the good work!

8:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, whats up, anyway im so glad you posted again, anyway im in computer class now so i'll see you 2-night. ttyl Michael, o and by the way i still don't have ur email.

10:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home