Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Day one wrap-up

I made it through my first day of school with no real complaints and with nothing but hopes for a good semester. The moment I stepped out of my car and onto the campus, I blushingly have to admit, I beamed from ear to ear. It was just so good being back there, and I hadn’t done anything other that turn off my car! The first person I saw was my E2 buddy Sonny, whom I ended up staying with and probably will for the semester. We exchanged a quick “Hello”. And I headed in to Titus Hall. I didn’t recognize any one in the lobby, but remember as I had to, that this is a new school year with a lot of new faces. I got checked in and went to my wing. Upon entering, I again didn’t recognize any one right off but that changed soon as I ducked into a busy-sounding room full of my buddies from the past year! I was quickly, but without much resistance, cajoled into playing a quick game of Halo after which I called my Laura. (No comments about priorities, okay?!?) I settled in pretty quickly after seeing Josh and Clayton, a couple of upper-classmen on the wing. The next morning, going to class as somewhat of an authority figure was a switch but was welcomed and exciting. After chapel, I got set up for the school year, getting all the necessary papers signed and what-not, and got ready for class. Both classes, Biblical Worship for Today and Contemporary Christian Philosophy, were mainly focused on introductory/syllabus stuff but we did get into the material a bit. I think I’m going to like both of my profs and playing one in the mornings, too. Now the trick will be to get the rest of me in gear and make sure that the semester has as good an end as its beginning.

Proverbs 1:5-6 in the NLT says, “Let those who are wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. And let those who understand receive guidance by exploring the depth of meaning in these proverbs, parables, wise sayings, and riddles”. Let this little commentary stand as my plug for reading a chapter in Proverbs daily. And this is an especially good time to start, being as today is the first day of the month (It’s September, by the way, if you’d lost track. Three months, 25 days till Christmas.) This passage addresses those people who are already wise in their ways and invites them, and all that read, to expand that wisdom to even greater “depths”. Two thoughts for today: 1.) The knowledge of man and the achievements of man in the last century have been mind boggling, if you really think about it. What a gift we’ve been given in having a creative mind. But on that mind’s best day, it will not come close to surpassing the wisdom of the Mind that created it, in it’s Heavenly Father. Point 2, and I’ll quote this from Romans 11: “Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths peyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor? Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.”

Big Deal tonight from 7-8:30

Later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home