Wednesday, August 04, 2004

The wheels on the bus

Today is the day! Praise the Lord, it’s finally here. All the planning and calling and rearranging and more calling comes down to today. Our Cedar Point trip leaves this afternoon! I’m excited about it for a couple different reasons. First off, because Cedar Point is probably the best ride park in the world. 16 coasters, folks! That’s a lot of stomach-swallowing action! Secondly, I’m excited, in a nervous sort of way, because all the work is done. As I write this, 99% of everything that needs to get done before we leave is completed. It’s a little scary for me. I’m usually running around minutes before we leave looking for van keys, a screw driver, Kleenex, or extra storage space. This time, it’s all done before hand. I’m growing up and learning about planning ahead. I vaguely remember my mom saying something about that concept as I was growing up, but I was too concerned about learning the finer points of procrastination. As lovely of a thing as that is, it’s scientifically proven to take years off your life. (Well, I really can’t prove that, but it sure feels like it.) We load up and head out on our little excursion at 1:00 this afternoon. Pray for us as we go. We'll gloat…er…tell you all how it went when we get home.

Proverbs 4:4-6 says, “he [my father] taught me and said, ‘Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her and she will watch over you’”. A father’s job is to teach his children in the way they should go. Again, the book of Proverbs is written from the perspective of a father teaching his son how to live a good life. We ought to heed these wise words as if they were being spoken directly to us. The good words spoken to us by our Father in heaven are meant to bring us life. He encourages us to pursue wisdom in a serious way. It’s interesting to me to see how many people get into car accidents because they were swerving to miss some small woodland creature. Squirrel, rabbit, dog (not exactly woodland, but I digress) whatever, it’s a better alternative than Mack, Freightliner, Kenworth…you get the idea. We aren’t to swerve from the good teaching we receive, no matter how much better we think we understand. But as youth, we tend to do just that. As mom was teaching me to plan ahead and get stuff done while I had the time, I thought there were better alternatives. To this day, I can’t tell you a tenth of what I did fooling around while I should have been doing homework. But I can tell you what I got on my report cards and homework grades (thanks to mom!). Learn to be wise now and save yourselves the trouble of having to do it later. That’s the stuff that matters.

We’re leaving at 1 for CP.
I’ll have the sign up sheet for the Adventure Trip posted on Sunday.

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home