Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Writer's block

I remember an old Golden Girls episode where Blanche was trying to be a romance novelist. (Just for the record, just because I used to watch Golden Girls doesn’t make me old. Good grief, it was a show in the 80’s, so I would have been like 8 when it first aired!) At one point in the show, she complained to the other girls that she had writer’s block. This condition is the bane of all writers. It’s characterized by the inability of the writer to come up with anything beyond what they’ve already got. The ideas just stop flowing. Well, all that to say that I have writer’s block. Well, I did until I remembered that old TV show. Thanks Blanche!

I rode with the Fast Group to Nevins, IL last night. This route is the hilly version of the Thursday ride. A fellow named Bill showed up for the first time (at least as far as I had seen of him) in a while and rode with us. This man is an absolute beast on a bicycle! He rode so hard in the first half of the trip out, he dropped me and another girl who are both usually able to keep up at fast paces. Poor Peanut had two flats and a dropped water bottle that held him up. I had a day like that last week. Anyways, on the way back, I felt good on the hills and rode off the front on my own for a bit, but got reeled back in 2 hills from the finish. The cool thing about the whole ride was that a friend of mine asked me about coming to church! It was great! I just pray that we’ll have more opportunities to talk and keep that line of communication open.

Proverbs 3:3-5 says, “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man”. Love and faithfulness are key components in the Christian life. If you’ve been to Youth Group at all this year, you know that our theme teaching has been Love God, Love People, as Jesus said these two are the greatest commandments. Faithfulness moves in two ways. First is our faithfulness to God and his word. Secondly, out of the first comes people knowledge of our faithfulness and their perception of us will be one of a person who can be trusted. I think that’s what this verse is getting at. If these two things are with us all the time, like a necklace or garment (bind them around your neck) and the written law of conduct for our lives (…the tablet of your heart…) we’ll be seen for what we truly are by God and by the people around us. Try and guard against writer’s block when you do this, though. Writing God’s word on ours hearts is not as difficult as it might seem.

*Pray for those of us who will be driving to Cedar Point tomorrow. We leave at 1pm.
*Clear your calendars for the Adventure Trip to Adventure Christian Church on Aug. 21-22. There will be a sign up sheet on the Youth Board on Sunday.
*Big Deal starts up again on Aug. 18! Get ready for a brand new year!

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home