Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Chillin' & Grillin'

Tomorrow evening is the first fellowship event for my Sunday school class. I'm hoping that we'll have a good turn out for it because it would be a real shot in the arm for the class. Right now, it consists of 3 (+/-) and myself. True the class has only been around for a school year, and we'll hopefully retain some of our highschool grads, but it's growing rather slowly. It's a whole different ball game trying to teach peers than it is teaching people who are 5 to 10 years younger. Plus, not everyone is like me, so I don't really know what will appeal to folks on a mass level when I'm planning things. Like I said, hopefully we'll have a good turn out and this will be the beginning of some good things for a group who need some good things.

Proverbs 15:2 says, "The tongue of the wise commends knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly". I'll come back to the wise in a few, but I want to talk about this other guy first. Don't we all know someone like this? You know, the guy/gal who you just pray doesn't say something because you know it going to be colossally stupid/redundant/meaningless/etc? Sometimes, I just don't know what will help these people more: a swift kick or a helpful word. But in light of any attempt to help that one might conjure up, the Bible tells us that these will pretty much all be in vain. The fool doesn't listen to wisdom, whether it's voiced by a caring, empathetic individual or by my size 9 on his back side! These folks will continue to shoot their mouths off and "gush folly" (great mental images here!) and prove the saying "Better to have someone think you're a fool and keep quiet than to open you're mouth and remove all doubt (or something like that). No, the person that will gain from correction is the wise! The person who seems like they need it the least will benefit the most form it, because it will actually do good! To commend wisdom is to acknowledge that it is good and right, even if that means swallowing one's pride and facing the fact that you might be in the wrong. The wise man will accept this fact and be better for it. We have to face the facts, folks. There are too many foolish people in the world...let's not add to the number. Seek to live and be wise.

Tomorrow morning (Wednesday)-Food pantry (9:45 @ church. We're done at 12)
Saturday-Highschool Sunday School cookout (5:00 pm)

Later...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... I was going through all the papers on my desk and low and behold I see this paper that has info on Joe...so I had to check it out. I love the web site! It is a great way to see what is going on and to keep in contact. As far as the get together for your sunday school class...I hope it goes well! I wish I could be there and will hopefully be home in September (the keep changing dates on me). I miss everyone in church so much and I really miss class. Let me know how it all goes.
God Bless,
Jessica Britton
brittonj@nsa.bahrain.navy.mil

4:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home