Thursday, May 20, 2004

I found Nemo

Last night, for the first time, I watched Finding Nemo with a group of my Senior Highers. It was a fun little get together. I enjoyed the movie immensely. Yeah, I know, some of you are thinking, “What was this guy thinking not seeing this movie until now?” Well, it’s not the first movie I’ve planned on seeing and didn’t until much later and it sure won’t be the last. I’m not so sure that I have a favorite part yet, seeing as how I’ve only seen the movie once. I really enjoyed the shark support group and seeing how Dori’s short-term memory loss played out in several scenes. The fish-tank/dentist’s office/Darla (I think that’s her name…the girl who looks like Chucky) scenes were a riot as well as the sea gulls (Mine!)! Anyways, I’ll see it again someday and be able to pick my favorites. I thought that including a main character with a disability was a nice touch. Nemo, and his dad, were quintessential underdogs. I like a movie with an underdog (even when he’s a fish).

Proverbs 20:1 says “Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise”. If you know anyone who consumes a lot of alcohol, you already know that this verse has a lot of truth in it. It is described as a mocker and a brawler. You’ve got to know that drunk people will eventually get themselves in trouble with their mouths (mocking) or with their fists (brawling). That looseness of mind that comes with alcohol consumption makes it difficult, if not impossible, to control one’s tongue or to shrug off some other’s misguided drunk statement without throwing down. I know a lot of people who will say that “Well, the Bible doesn’t say that it’s wrong to drink!” Yes, I’m aware of that. Some very good friends of mine drink and, for all that I can tell, they do it responsibly. However, the trouble comes up when we allow alcohol to deceive us. The second part of the verse talks about the fool who is lead astray by the drink. It is too easy to get so far into this that you can’t get out. Sin will do that to a person if he/she is not firm in what they believe. The deception that says, “You can handle this. Go ahead, have another drink” will lead you into sin unless you have already made a firm decision about what you will not do. There is much freedom in Christ, but we must exercise that freedom responsibly (I Cor. 10:23-24). Many people reading this don’t have a choice whether this is right or wrong because the law of the land says you are underage. I would encourage those who are of age to really consider your motivations in doing the things you do, whatever they might be, and do those things for the good of others and the glory of God.

Wednesday 26: Last day of School, last Big Deal
Saturday 29: People of Prayer
Sunday 30: Youth Sunday

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mine!!!!
michael

1:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home