Friday, May 21, 2004

Early/Late Start

This morning was our 5:30 (am!) leadership breakfast meeting. Last night, I set my alarm for 5:00 am and went to bed. Recently, I’ve had a fan going to keep air moving through my house so I can sleep without perspiring so much that I stick to my sheets. Last night, I moved the fan into my room and went to bed. I woke up at 5:14 am, really for no reason at all, because I still couldn’t hear the radio over the sound of the fan. By the grace of God I made it to the meeting on time. After the meeting, I went home to get some things ready for the rest of the day and made up for the time in bed I lost by getting up soooooo early. I was in the office a little before 9:30 (see, it evens out) and am just now (this afternoon) getting to my writing for the day. I’m looking forward to going to Bogey’s tonight (and any NHS student reading this is invited) to help with the Campus Life end of the year party thing at 6:30. It’ll be good fun.

Proverbs 21:1 says “The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases”. Definition time. “LORD” is capitalized here because in the Hebrew (woo!) language, one of the titles for God was spelled יהוה (read backwards: YHWH, or Yahweh) and this is the English translation. A watercourse is any kind of flowing body of water. In this context, it refers more to a canal. Why a canal? The one who builds a canal directs it where it wants it to go. It’s the same way with man’s heart. It is the Lord who directs our paths. It is true that many, in fact all of us, resist. There are many examples of kings in ancient Israel who resisted God’s leading and the nation suffered. Many times, the nation suffered at the hand of another nation. However, there are some good examples of godly kings who followed the Lord’s lead and the nation prospered. In Proverbs 3:5-6, it tells us to rely on the Lord and to acknowledge him in everything we do. This takes humility. These kings who obeyed God knew that they didn’t have all the answers and allowed God to do his thing his way. If we allow God to mold us and shape us and don’t give him a lot of flack when he tries to steer us in a way that we aren’t too sure about, we’ll be in for some pretty neat scenery along the flowing path of our lives.

For those of you who missed it: Campus Life party at Bogie’s in TH starts at 6:30. $15 covers everything.
Youth Sunday is next week! Fill a slot, get involved.
Saturday 29th, People of Prayer, 6-7 pm.

Later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home