Wednesday, January 19, 2005

We're back!

Campus Life starts up again today at North Clay. Chris, Nancy, and I will be back during school lunch to hand out cards to start up another wild and wacky semester. At the ball game Friday, I got to see a handfull of kids that I haven't seen all winter break which was cool. They were all excited about learning of my engagement so I'll be able to show them a couple pictures of the happy couple today (that's my fiancee and I!). The eighth grade girls that are always asking about her were probably the most excited for me, other than Michael and my mom. It's always fun talking about it to whoever will listen. Chris and Nancy don't know yet so they will get the news today and the rest of the CL crew will learn about it tomorrow. Campus Life always adds excitement to my week. That age group of kids is a fun one to work with. They are a little less reserved than older teens but bigger and less fragile than your average elementary schooler (which is nice because you can play rougher!). All in all, CL is back and I'm ready!

Proverbs 19:6 (NASB) says, "Many will seek the favor of a generous man, and every man is a friend to him who gives gifts". All throughout life, I've wondered what it would be like to be incredibly rich. Like owning houses in 3 countries, drivin' my Ferrari, flyin' around in my own jet kinda rich! Life would be good. That is until people started seeing my name on the Forbe's 100 Wealthiest People list and started calling me asking for handouts. That's the part of being rich that would soon get annoying. Back here in reality, neither I nor any one reading this blog are in that condition of being freakishly wealthy (but if you are, I would like to ask you to donate to the Put Joe Through Life fund...it's an incredible investment!) but many of us have been blessed to where we can be generous. There are many people in this world who are, but there are more who are there to exploit the generous. According to God's word, there always have been. At points in life, we've all had to deal with this on certain levels. In Kindergarten, who did you want to be at your party? The kid who you knew would give the best presents! The same goes for relatives at Christmas. You can stand a couple more cheek-pinches and smacks on the lips if it will get you closer to that new remote control car or gaming system. But these more innocent behaviors carry over into adulthood for some and becomes a sad display of childishness and greed. The Bible teaches us to be content with what we have and to be humble in the presence of others. Two verses come to mind here. About our possessions, Proverbs 30:8b-9 says "give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." Also, Jesus says in Luke 14:8 & 11, "When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited...For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." I think in these two passages we see good examples of knowing God's place for us in life. We need not schmooze those around us to get ahead in life, but be content and humble before God and he will provide for our every need.

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home