Monday, December 13, 2004

The last leg

It's here! The last Monday of my school semester. This really isn't a huge landmark in the sense that I still have somewhere in the realm of 8 semesters to go in my grad-schooling. However, this has been a challenging semester mentally with a good deal of grunt work involved. I was better prepared for this semester as far as planning for regular class work goes. My next big project is to work in time for big end-of-the-semester projects. Case in point: as soon as I get done with this blog entry, I will pick up where I left off at 2 am this morning on a research paper on the philosophy of eternity. It's a tough subject but I seem to be making due (Much grace as been extended to me. Thank you Lord!). I'm also quite motivated because if I get the silly thing done, I get to spend more time with Laura this evening! There's something about that girl that makes me better. What ever it is, it's having a profound effect on me. Anyways, I can't be much longer. The last leg is not yet finished and I must push through to the line.

Proverbs 13:5 says, "The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked bring shame and disgrace." The two parts of the verse function well by themselves. I will try and bring a bit of connection between the two. The first part of this verse is a good summary statement of all that is said about the righteous. The righteous seek truth, goodness, virtue, and justice. In these things there is nothing false. Falseness is a perversion of the truth, so righteousness and falseness are opposites. On the other side of the comma, "the wicked bring shame and disgrace". Not hard to imaging, no? Shame and disgrace exist where one has strayed from what they know is right. It is not only present with the guilty party, but also with his/her family, friends, and loved ones. If shame and disgrace come from doing opposite of right, then the wicked do not do what is right. If the wicked do not do what is right, then the wicked pervert the truth. If the wicked pervert the truth, then they are not righteous. I hope this makes sense (I hope I've stated it right!). In doing the right thing, that does not mean to do right some of the time, or most of the time. You rarely do things you hate. If you are seeking to be righteous, why then would you do something false? Don't subject yourself and those around you to undue pain by bringing about shame and disgrace. Be true to them and yourself. Hate what is false. True, true.

Saturday 12/18: Toys for Tots distribution @ Harmony United Methodist Church
Sunday 12/19: Holiday Dinner (come hungry!)
Wednesday 12/21: A Big Deal Christmas (White Elephant gift exchange & party)

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home