Thursday, December 16, 2004

Sorry about yesterday

Well, I had another one of those mishaps with technology yesterday. As we've been recently networked in the office, Cathy's computer is the hub for it. It has to be on so the other three can work online. Well, as I was getting ready to publish, she had restarted her computer after updating it. As I navigated away from the page, I lost everything. Oh well. I was going to tell you about a close call I had on the road on Monday. I was driving through Springfield when a girl pulled onto the interstate and into my lane. I slowed and veered left and she finally saw me and swerved to the right and overcorrected sending her across the median into the ditch on the other side of the road. She and I were both ok, which could have easily been a much different outcome. Praise the Lord! So, that's all I was going to say.

Proverbs 16:5 says, "The LORD detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished". I had a conversation about pride with a friend of mine just last night. It's a subject that many people deal with on different levels. Some are obsurdly proud about everything they are and some just on certain areas of expertise. We usually find that people affected by pride in the Bible are on a road to destruction. King Saul, Nebuchadnezzar, the Pharisees all fell victim to it. There isn't a really easy answer to the question of pride in our lives. But I think that we can start to overcome it by realizing what Scripture says about us personally. The world is the LORD's and all that is in it (Psalm 50:12), "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves" (Philippians 2:3), "Do not think of yourselves more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you" (Romans 12:3). These are starting points for overcoming pride. If we see that everything we have and all that we are is from God, it will be harder for us to see ourselves as superior, and easier to act appropriately.

Saturday 12/18: Toys for Tots distribution @ Harmony United Methodist Church (HEY, this starts at 2, be at the church at 1:30. If you're reading this at school, tell anyone you see!)
Sunday 12/19: Holiday Dinner (come hungry!)
Wednesday 12/21: A Big Deal Christmas (White Elephant gift exchange & party)

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home