Friday, February 25, 2005

Busy week

This weekend will lead into my Intensive week class at LCS. An Intensive week class is one that is completed in a week's time with some pre- and post-class work. Before this semester, I didn't really like the sound of this set up, but as this is one of the only required classes offered at a time that I can take it, I didn't have much choice. It hasn't been too bad leading up to the class. Yes, I did put off quite a bit of reading until this week, but I don't have too much left to do. What will be interesting is our time "in class". This will be interesting because it's a traveling class. We're going on a week-long field trip to several Restoration Movement (associated with the Christian churches & Churches of Christ) historical sites, and having our class discussions on the road in the school's van. The first day will be rough. I'm not sure what kind of guy our prof is, whether a morning person or otherwise, but we're leaving campus at 6 am on Monday morning! Sure, that's 7 o'clock my time, but that's still a pretty nasty start to a long week on the road for most of the class. I am looking forward to our time together, though. I don't know many other students at the seminary on a first name basis, so 5 days within 15 feet of one another should be enough of a chance to get to know some folks. I'll update you next week (Monday, March 7) on how things went. Until then, since this will be my last entry for a little more than a week, see you Sunday or talk at you later.

Proverbs 25:8 (NASB) says, "Do not go out hastily to argue your case; otherwise, what will you do in the end, when your neighbor humiliates you?" No one likes a tattle-tale. I'm the oldest of four (and the only boy, mind you) and I have had plenty of experience with tattle-tales. But, I must confess, I have done it myself on occasion. What kid who has been sold out to their parents wouldn't want to give the big-mouthed younger sibling a taste of their own medicine if given the chance? Childishness aside, as adults this doesn't get any easier. If someone at work wrongs someone else, they may not go crying directly to a superior, but how many times over lunch or coffee do people rally support for their cause because they have been slighted or dumped on? We need to be carefull of this, because if we think honestly to ourselves, we know that we aren't perfect. This verse warns us to keep a level head in times of perceived wrong. I say 'perceived' specifically because the scenario that is painted for us is one in which we might end up with egg on our face. If we hear something that sounds a little bit like it might possibly have a chance of having an inkling to do with us without getting the whole story, we are likely to make fools of ourselves over something very minor. People mess up. I think many times in life, we take ourselves too seriously and get miffed over small things. Even when something does happen to us that isn't the greatest, it isn't worth losing minutes of your life stressing out over it. Keep your cool and you'll keep your dignity.

Saturday at 6 pm is People of Prayer.
Jr. High Retreat @ Camp Illiana, March 18-19, $18.
Sr. High Spring Retreat @ JBC, March 31-April 2, $30+.

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home