Thursday, March 10, 2005

Wishful thinking

I keep hearing people say, “Man, I wish Spring were here!”, or “I wish it would warm up”. I resonate with those sentiments on a lot of levels. There isn’t much I can do outside and really enjoy it when it’s bitter-cold outside. Sure, there are activities that you can only do when it’s cold, like snow skiing, snow ball fights, and building snowmen. However, it does not necessarily have to be -17 degrees to be able to do these things. 25 degrees. That’s a good winter temp for being outside and doing something, as long as it is snow related. I have to admit, I like winter and I like snow. I adapt pretty easily to most climates in a short amount of time. But if it’s going to be cold, there had better be snow! Laura hates the cold. She blames me every time it snows because she thinks I pray for it! I love to hear her growl at me when I tell her it’s snowing. She’s pretty great, despite the fact that she’s opposed to the cold. (72 days today or 10 weeks to go on Saturday!!!) All this said, I’m looking forward to the Spring, too, but not so much as to wish away the rest of winter. Spring will get here in time. The sun has come up every morning since the 4th day, so every day, every minute, we’re that much closer to leaves, the smell of fresh cut grass, sandals, and turning off the heat. If only I could apply this wisdom to other areas in my life, I would be a lot better off! So you mono-climatic people out there, don’t think I’m selling you out. I’m ready to go outside and take a deep breath and not have my lungs freeze solid, but enjoy the rest of this season first. Besides, before too long, some folks, and I won’t name names, will be complaining about the oppressive heat and humidity of summer. Some people you just can’t please.

Proverbs 10:8 says, “The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin”. I feel no sympathy for people who don’t know what to do because they talk while directions are being given. I run into that quite often in youth ministry. But it isn’t confined solely to adolescents. They have to learn it somewhere! People in general who think that what they have to say is more important than the one in authority irk me to no end. The wise in heart accept commands. We have established that the wise are attentive, discerning, listen to advice, and are built up when rebuked. The directions given to them don’t simply float off into space, they are taken in and carried out. On the flip side of the proverb, the fool does not accept commands and will come to ruin. One reason why, is that his mouth is more active than his ears. Whether the orders are from a teacher, preacher, or drill sergeant, if we aren’t tuned in, we can be assured that we will screw up. True listening is active. A listener will hear but also interact with and interpret what is being said. The proof of listening is in the actions that follow. If a command is truly accepted, it will be carried out and completed. Tune in to God’s word. Tune in to the commands he gives. Then, you will be assured that you won’t be left not knowing what to do, and be saved from ruin.

Jr. High Retreat deadline is this Sunday, March 13.
Sr. High Spring Retreat deadline is Sunday, March 20.

Later…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home