Thursday, January 27, 2005

Shopping trip

I went to run some errands in town this morning at Wal-Mart. I was amazed at what I found. I got the things I went in for and then headed down the cereal aisle in the limited grocery section of the Brazil WM. As I was looking for what I would be starting my days off with for the next week or so, I noticed that the price was incredibly lower than it would be for the same thing at the grocery store! Like in the realm of $1.50 cheaper for a big box of cereal! Well, I had noticed this before but it really sunk in this time. I'm thinking to myself, "Self, you need to become a better shopper and learn about these things". It's good food for thought (no pun intended!) since I'll be shopping for two soon! Now ALDI on the other hand is great also, if you aren't concerned with name brand food. For a long time, I always thought that ALDI was like the second-hand store for groceries. I would go in when mom was buying food to feed the 6 of us (gee, do you think she new something?) and not see my Frosted Flakes or Fruity Pebbles and the faces associated with them. Instead, they had these "goofy", boring names (like "Pebbles" isn't a little goofy, and who would want to eat pebbles anyway?) like "Puffed Wheat" or "Frosted Wheat Squares", or Michael's favorite "Apple Dapples". I just assumed an inherent lack in the quality of the box without the tiger or the cavemen. But now that I'm older and wiser, bring on the boring, only-tells-you-what's-in-the-box, titled cereals! Save me some cash, man! I suppose this input will only be enlightening for the younger readers out there. But if you happen to be a vet of spending more money for brand names, maybe my little epiphany has inspired you as well. Either way, happy shopping.

Proverbs 27:7 says, "He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet". It's interesting that both parts of today's entry have to do with food to some degree. I really do enjoy food. I have for most of my life but definitely the defining moment of my love for cullinary arts was my job at the Garden Restaurant back when I was in highschool. I was exposed to many new dishes and gained an appreciation for food prep, especially at that level. I had a ravenous appetite while in highschool because I was always very active in sports and marching band. I was either in a sport or training for the next one. I could eat at the drop of a hat. But I had my limits. Desert was always available at the restaurant and it was always excellent. Sometimes, though, my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I couldn't finish that delectable morsel, no matter how much was left. I was full, and at that point, I wanted nothing more to do with what was on my plate. In working there, I also witnessed a lot of waste. I saw $18 slabs of prime rib thrown into the trash only having been half eaten. I saw $3.00 pieces of the best cheesecake I've ever tasted look like it had only been mashed around the plate without any of it ever entering anyone's mouth. That was the sad part of the job. Because Newton was not a very affluent community, I'm sure that those half portions would have been enjoyed elsewhere. I'm not sure what this verse points to directly but I think we can easily draw a few long-standing principles. "Clean your plate", "Never get more than what you'll eat", "In all things, moderation", and other things including stories of starving kids in Africa. We are so blessed in this country. We are able to enjoy so much more than most of the world. While this is true, this privilege must not be abused. I don't think the Lord is pleased when he witnesses the waste of his blessings. Let's be mindful of what we've been given as we sit down to enjoy or bounty.

Saturday Jan. 29 @ 6 pm People of Prayer.
Sunday Jan. 30-Youth Sunday (remember: no regular PM meeting for SCAMPS concert)
Sunday Feb. 6-SuperBowl Party at the Wilsons', 6 pm till...whenever your parents come!

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home