Friday, January 28, 2005

Sunday sermon prep

I'm really excited about finishing up my sermon for this Sunday's Youth Sunday. It isn't just that I want to get it done and out of the way, but it's about the subject matter itself. I don't want to spoil the surprize for those of you who won't know until Sunday what I'm preaching on, but let's just say that the illustrations for this week are near and dear to my heart. They happen to be of the two-wheeled, shaved-leg, tan-lined, watt-pumping, pedal-spinning, high-mileage, heart-bursting-out-of-their-chest type. If you don't know the type I'm talking about, then let me introduce myself because you don't know me very well! There are a lot of life applications to be drawn from sports in general, but I think the one I will draw from this sport in particular has great influence on the Christian walk. Yes, I am speaking in somewhat ambiguous terms but it's to add a little more excitement to our upcoming service in a somewhat limited, passive-aggressive way. Limited in that only the three of you who read this will be able to enjoy this sneak peek, passive in that this sneak peek is in print form, and aggressive in that I want you to know that you really do need to be there!! All that said, I need to finish here so I can finish building my sermon. "Allez, Joe!!!"

Proverbs 28:7 (NLT) says, "Young people who obey the law are wise; those who seek out worthless companions bring shame to their parents". Ever wonder why so many parents are always saying things like, "Choose your friends wisely"? I think it has to do with the amount of words in Proverbs devoted to the company we keep. I don't think it's a new saying for parents to be using and this verse is proof of it. For thousands of years, parents trying to raise good kids have seen their hard work be dashed to bits by the influence of the bad company of their children. Unfortunately for the kids, they (we, because we were all there!) don't listen and understand that this "friend" is bad until after they've gotten themselves in trouble, maybe even sold out by him/her. As we have seen thorughout Proverbs, the child who does what is right, who follows the rules set out to protect him, is praised as wise. This figure presented next is somewhat of a new one for us: the child who seeks out the troublemakers as companions. The first chapter of Proverbs warns the child not to throw their lot in with these evil people. Throughout the book, it is shown that these folks are on the path to destruction. I'm not sure what would lead a child to this kind of desire. In today's culture, with the lack of solid families and thr proper attention and love shown therein, it may be because the child feels that they can have a sense of belonging and rise to a level of importance. This is as far down this road as I am comfortable going, however. I'll save that discussion for the two counselors in my family. Parents, continue to try to do the right thing by your kids. Show them the love they need: acceptance, value, confidence, affirmation, but not forgetting and leaving out important things like discipline, structure, and well-defined expectations. Kids, again, understand that your parents were kids once also. Do your best to do the right thing by your parents (even if you think you are trying harder than them). Working together as a family, as a unit, you will bless one another and be what God set out for you to be.

Sunday-Youth Sunday; PM-SCAMPS concert
Sun. Feb. 6-Super Bowl party @ Wilsons': fellas-snacks, ladies-drinks, everybody-$2.

Later...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had a good message in your sermon. I never heard of those (however you spell their titles) but the analogy was a great one for us and our Christian walk.

7:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home