Monday, January 31, 2005

Failing math grade

Well, as it turns out, I have either poor mathematical skills or just blanked out for a bit last week when calculating just how many days it would be until Laura and I get married. Somehow, from January 21 to May 21 came out to be 110 days. That however is incorrect. From TOMORROW, February 1 it is 110 days! Again, I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I figured in the three complete months between now and then and only factored in the 21 days in May without regard for the 10 or so days left in January. I'd like to blame it on absent-mindedness and not have to think that simple math has become a challenge, so I think that's what I'll do. I suppose I'm used to that because, as most of you know, I'm somewhat (maybe considerably) absent minded. I think I get it from my mom, who says of herself "I'd loose my head if it weren't attached!" I can totally empathize! But for now, I've got to get on with what I'm supposed to be doing...

...if I could only remember what that is.

Proverbs 31:7 says (NASB), "Let him drink and forget his poverty and remember his trouble no more". These words are from King Lemuel and not from Solomon at this point in the book. Not to be thought less of, the last part of this chapter has become one of the most notable passages regarding what kind of woman a girl ought to try and be and the kind of woman a boy ought to aspire to find. The first part of this chapter deals with alcohol. Now, the verse that we have read would at first glance seem to condone the usage of alocohol, at least on some levels or occasions. However, at the top, the writer says plainly that drinking is not for kings. If they do this, they could face all sorts of trouble from forgetting their responsibilities to misinterpreting the law to perverting justice. That doesn't make for a good king! The leader ought to lead by example, and a drunken example produces drunken followers. No, the booze is left for the down-and-out and the dying. Their situation is grave and there won't be much changing it. I do not believe that this excuses their behavior, though. I can't help but think that these folks who are down here are there by there own devices. I have nothing to prove this except referring to other words in Proverbs lifting up wisdom and diligence and condemning folly, laziness, and greed. I think what we can pull from this is to aspire to be like the King and not choose a life less than the best. Our King has set us an example to follow and if we do not, we are left to live life by our own devices.

Hey, great job to all who were involved in Youth Sunday this week. We had some new faces doing new things and some old ones stepping in at the last minute. I'm proud of you all.

Sunday Feb. 6 Super Bowl Party at Wilsons': 6:00 till the end of the game or your parents come to claim you! Girls bring drinks, gents bring snacks, everyone bring $2.

Later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home