Wednesday, December 05, 2007

No better time...right?

"There's no better time than the present." Someone somewhere said that once. I sorta, kinda believe it. But I'll not take the time to comment on it...at the present time. I guess some people might want to know how things have been in my life. Some don't care. Those people won't read this. For those that do care: Yeah, I really did just fall off the blogging wagon. I really loved writing and posting those little commentaries on Proverbs. They really helped me, even if no one else benefitted from them. They're still there for anyone who's interested in looking at them. I probably won't jump back into that for a while.
LeRoy is a pretty normal little mid-western town. Just like any other, it has its ups and downs. The mindset here is really strange. There is a small contingent of folks who have lived their entire lives here (sidebar: Laura tells me every so often that here greatest fear is that God is going to have us stay here forever! The thought frightens me, too.) and will eventually be buried here. Then there's the folks, like us, who have moved into town because of a job. Being so close to Bloomington, LeRoy has become a bedroom community for State Farm workers and a number of other employers. What sticks out to me as strange is that everyone basically has this mindset of "that's the way it's always been." I suppose that's ok for the born-here group, but how can a person say that after living here only 5 or so years!!! It's a little frustrating at points...humorous at others. Even stranger, many of the kids of this second group of people think like old people! That's what kills me! There are few things more frustrating for a youth minister than having a youth group full of geriatric-minded teenagers!
That's my setting. I'm sure lots of folks can relate. It's not a bad little town, and I don't hate being here (for the majority of the time). I've really come to love some of the people here and I want to do my best to make a positive impact for the kingdom while I'm here. I'm not going to change the minds of everyone in town. I don't even want to try! But, if I can help them see Jesus and be Jesus in this little town, then I've accomplished that for which I've come to do.

Enjoy your day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"What sticks out to me as strange is that everyone basically has this mindset of "that's the way it's always been.""

Sadly, I wish that was more strange. I see this in so many churches. (Mostly in old churches, but sadly in younger ones too). It takes a lot of time, effort, and struggle to get people to adopt new vision. This reminds me so much of my experience on my internship (and I wouldn't call this church, but it is established). It just seems like it is bred into the culture.

I just finished reading a book by Andy Stanley, and he talked about how leaders need to have courage. He said that a lot of times people can see where the problems are, but the leader is the one who has enough courage to act.

elders boards, parents, deacons, and Sr. ministers often keep us from that courage I think...but we just need to keep loving people and sharing vision.

good post sem.

the teece

http://enthroned98.wordpress.com

12:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home